Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Forever changed

It was 6:30 in the morning 21 years ago when our lives were forever changed. We were all up getting ready for another normal, regular, routine day of school. None of that was going to happen. I thought it was strange when the phone rang, but not all that strange. The man on the other end asked me if Mom lived there. "No" I answered, she had moved out. "She doesn't live here anymore" Confused, he asked if her husband was there. Of course, the poor gentlemen was asking questions that were more difficult to answer than he thought. Mom and Dad were divorcing, so to a fifteen year old, was Dad still her husband? With a longer pause than he wanted on one of the most difficult phone calls he was ever to make, I answered, with "Yes, but he is busy getting ready for work and in the shower." Growing impatient with my less than desirable, yet honest answers, he pleaded to speak with him and that it was important. I knew Dad wasn't that happiest in the morning, so I thought it would be better for him to call back. It was then, and only then that the man on the other end of the phone made it very clear that he was going to talk to Dad, it was important and about Mom. It sank in, something was wrong. I ran to the other end of the house, and handed the phone to Dad while he was still brushing he hair, just out of the shower. I never heard the words. I didn't know what he said to Dad. I stood there, I saw it on his face, I knew she was gone. I knew it was forever. We cried together and instantly my brother and sister were there. With the words, "Mom is gone" we cried.

Life changed forever. What came before can not be changed. What came after can not either. Life is each day each moment, each decision, regret, joy, happiness, saddness, pleasure, guilt, friendship, struggle, passion, love and everything in between. Enjoy it all.
I love you, Momma!

2 comments:

Beth said...

Oh Jodi, I remember that day too. I know your momma would be so proud of you and your family. God Bless you.

furrfamily said...

Thank you Beth. Never felt so alone as I did that day. I know she would be proud, just can't wait to see her some day. It was hard loosing her sister this year too. It was like having a part of her, a connection to her back.
Never alone, surrounded by so many. I am truly blessed.